Sunday 28 February 2010

Finally

Well, after much testing I have decided on an actual 3D modelling app to use in my workflow. I already have Blender, and while there are some very skilled users of this on the forum (Niosop and afecelis spring to mind and their tutorials are definitely worth checking out), I still find its user interface awkward and clumsy. So I demo'd a few different ones that would not break the bank. In the end I decided on AC3D. I find it simple to use and has enough features for what I wanted it for. 3DWS is still my main application for creating architecture, but I needed something for what I call redundant decoration, and so far AC3D has proved to be just what I was looking for.


Redundant Decoration is simply my term for low poly non functional assets, like in the picture below, filing cabinets, desks, fake PC's ect.


Filing Cabinet: 12 Polys
Desk: 192 Polys (currently, still room for "pruning")
PC Screen & Keyboard: 70 Polys

The textures still need some work, but using a combination of ShaderMap Pro and manual editing on the normal maps has produced some promising results.

So far I am impressed with AC3D, and would recommend to those who were looking for a low priced 3D Modeller to check out its 14 day demo. Combined with 3DWS, Blender and UU3D I think I have this side of development sewn up application wise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites